Build Skills Toward a Rewarding Career of Serving Others
Graduate Ready for Certification
3 In-Demand Specializations
High Job Growth
Learn More Today
Complete the form to get additional information about this program.
Choose How You’ll Serve – Three In-Demand Specializations
Become a leader in your field and a champion for justice. Through flexible online courses that don’t require any on-campus residencies, master the skills you need to develop your counseling career. Choose from three specializations:
- Clinical Mental Health Counseling: Become a clinical mental health counselor and support clients of all ages and cultures as they overcome emotional health challenges. Work in government and non-government facilities, private practice, inpatient or outpatient agencies, and community organizations.
- Clinical Rehabilitation Counseling: Serve individuals with disabilities facing physical, mental, emotional, or social challenges. Learn how to serve as a source of expertise, personal support, and guidance to individuals with disabilities and their families to enhance their quality of life and empower their independence.
- School Counseling: Help students of all ages get the most from their education by assessing and finding solutions to common behavioral and learning problems, promoting psychological health, and implementing effective career development planning.
Career Outlook: A Life of Rewarding Service
Americans see counseling as a valuable part of life, with 42 percent reporting having seen a counselor at some point.2 The demand for counseling is projected to grow, in fact, mental health counselors are expected to rise 23.1 percent over the next decade.1
With each of our three specializations preparing you for certification in your area of expertise, you’ll be equipped to meet this great need and serve those who need your help most.Careers in Counseling
Curriculum: Foundational Knowledge, Real-World Skills
Our experienced faculty deliver courses that combine foundational knowledge with practical, real-world skills. Over your time in the online program, you’ll also prepare for focus-specific licensure or certification, including LPC, CRC, or school counselor certification.
Requirements for certification may vary by state and specialization.Review Curriculum
Program Outcomes: Deliver Personalized Support
You’ll complete this program ready to:
- Apply appropriate counseling theories, methods and techniques to various counseling situations
- Recognize and apply the major theories of normal human development
- Utilize culturally appropriate counseling techniques and strategies
- Understand the legal and ethical standards of the counseling profession
- Conduct effective assessments and communicate results
- Facilitate career exploration and offer career consultation
The mission of the Master of Arts in Counseling program, in support of the mission of Our Lady of the Lake University, is to empower our graduates to serve the needs of diverse communities as ethical, reflective, and knowledgeable counselors. The program promotes a learning environment rich in appreciation for diversity, inclusiveness, social justice, and accessibility by fostering the professional, personal, and spiritual development of our students.
Focus your counseling degree on the area you’re passionate about with one of three specializations. Each includes practicum and internship requirements, ensuring you learn in the real world.
To apply for the Master of Arts in Counseling program at Our Lady of the Lake University, you’ll need to submit:
- A complete application
- Bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited institution and official transcripts demonstrating a minimum 2.75 GPA, or 3.0 for most recent 60 credit hours of academic tenure
- Personal statement, student acknowledgment form and questionnaire
- Résumé and reference form
- Written consent for release of test records to certification officer and program faculty
- Current teaching license and teaching service record, if applicable
Applicants who do not meet all requirements of the ideal candidate are still encouraged to apply. Each admissions decision is based on a holistic review of your application package.Full Requirements
This 48–60-credit-hour program costs $925 per credit hour. Furthering your career with an education from OLLU is an investment in your future. Find full tuition details at the link below.Full Tuition Details
Faculty: Tap Into Our Wealth of Expertise
The faculty in OLLU’s MA in Counseling program are seasoned experts who have operated practices and held specialized roles.
They have real-world expertise confronting issues around mental health, eating disorders, behavioral disorders, special education, and substance abuse in residential programs, family practice, schools, group homes, treatment centers and other settings.
In your time at OLLU, you’ll have the opportunity to forge personal connections and receive one-on-one mentorship through hands-on learning.OLLU Faculty
Learning online with OLLU is just as engaging as our on-campus programs — the only difference is the flexibility to learn on your own schedule. Connect with lively discussion groups, complete your assignments and interact with your professors from wherever you prefer to work.OLLU ONLINE
Seeking financial aid is a great way to reduce the out-of-pocket cost of getting your new degree — in fact, 90 percent of our students receive some form of financial aid to ease their transition back to school.EXPLORE FINANCIAL AID
Frequently Asked Questions
If you have a question we don’t cover here, request more information or call 855-275-1082.
- the School Counseling concentration in 2.5 years
- the Clinical Mental Health Counseling and the Clinical Rehabilitation Counseling concentrations in 3–3.5 years.
Total tuition estimates are as follows and do not include the cost of books and fees:
- School Counseling specialization, $44,400
- Clinical Mental Health Counseling and Clinical Rehabilitation Counseling specializations, $55,500
Our program recognizes the importance and value of CACREP accreditation for counseling programs, their graduates and the counseling profession. In preparation for submitting our self-study to the CACREP Board, we are in the process of developing, modifying and evaluating our program to meet CACREP standards. We hope to submit our self-study to the CACREP Board soon which will then begin the review process of our program by CACREP. The review process is comprehensive and lengthy, and it could be a year or more after we submit our self-study before we know the results of our application and whether or not our program is eligible for CACREP accreditation.
Yes. You can choose from the Clinical Mental Health Counseling, Clinical Rehabilitation Counseling, and School Counseling specializations.
The program requires 600 hours of internship experience and 100 hours of practicum experience for all specializations.
NOTE: Applicants seeking licensure are encouraged to review all applicable eligibility requirements related to the respective occupational license per the Texas occupations code HB 1508.
- Burning Glass Technologies: Labor Insight™. Retrieved October 29, 2019.
- Barna (2018 February 27). Americans Feel Good About Counseling. Retrieved October 29, 2019, from https://www.barna.com/research/americans-feel-good-counseling.