Build Skills Toward a Rewarding Career of Serving Others
Graduate Ready for Certification
3 In-Demand Specializations
High Job Growth
Learn More Today
Complete the form to get additional information about this program.
Choose How You’ll Serve – Three In-Demand Specializations
Become a leader in your field and a champion for justice. Through flexible online courses that don’t require any on-campus residencies, master the skills you need to develop your counseling career. Choose from three specializations:
- Clinical Mental Health Counseling: Become a clinical mental health counselor and support clients of all ages and cultures as they overcome emotional health challenges. Work in government and non-government facilities, private practice, inpatient or outpatient agencies, and community organizations.
- Clinical Rehabilitation Counseling: Serve individuals with disabilities facing physical, mental, emotional, or social challenges. Learn how to serve as a source of expertise, personal support, and guidance to individuals with disabilities and their families to enhance their quality of life and empower their independence.
- School Counseling: Help students of all ages get the most from their education by assessing and finding solutions to common behavioral and learning problems, promoting psychological health, and implementing effective career development planning.
Career Outlook: A Life of Rewarding Service
Americans see counseling as a valuable part of life. In fact, the 41.4 million adults sought counseling from a mental health professional in 2020.2 The demand for counseling is projected to grow, in fact, the number of mental health counseling positions is expected to rise 23% by 2030.1
With each of our three specializations preparing you for certification in your area of expertise, you’ll be equipped to meet this great need and serve those who need your help most.Careers in Counseling
Curriculum: Foundational Knowledge, Real-World Skills
Our experienced faculty deliver courses that combine foundational knowledge with practical, real-world skills. Over your time in the online program, you’ll also prepare for focus-specific licensure or certification, including LPC, CRC, or school counselor certification.
Requirements for certification may vary by state and specialization.Review Curriculum
Program Outcomes: Deliver Personalized Support
You’ll complete this program ready to:
- Apply appropriate counseling theories, methods and techniques to various counseling situations
- Recognize and apply the major theories of normal human development
- Utilize culturally appropriate counseling techniques and strategies
- Understand the legal and ethical standards of the counseling profession
- Conduct effective assessments and communicate results
- Facilitate career exploration and offer career consultation
The mission of the Master of Arts in Counseling program, in support of the mission of Our Lady of the Lake University, is to empower our graduates to serve the needs of diverse communities as ethical, reflective, and knowledgeable counselors. The program promotes a learning environment rich in appreciation for diversity, inclusiveness, social justice, and accessibility by fostering the professional, personal, and spiritual development of our students.
Focus your counseling degree on the area you’re passionate about with one of three specializations. Each includes practicum and internship requirements, ensuring you learn in the real world.
Master of Arts in Counseling (MAC): Clinical Mental Health Counseling Specialization
Learn to support people of all ages and backgrounds as they confront mental health challenges to improve their lives.
Master of Arts in Counseling (MAC): School Counseling Specialization
Prepare to help students overcome challenges to meet their potential and find success.
Master of Arts in Counseling (MAC): Clinical Rehabilitation Counseling Specialization
Put your passion to work and learn to help people overcome the complications of disability with holistic care.
To apply for the Master of Arts in Counseling program at Our Lady of the Lake University, you’ll need to submit:
- A complete application
- Bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited institution and official transcripts demonstrating a minimum 3.0 GPA
- Personal statement, student acknowledgment form and questionnaire
- Résumé and reference form
- Written consent for release of test records to certification officer and program faculty
- Current teaching license and teaching service record, if applicable
Applicants who do not meet all requirements of the ideal candidate are still encouraged to apply. Each admissions decision is based on a holistic review of your application package.Full Requirements
This 60-credit-hour program costs $981 per credit hour. Furthering your career with an education from OLLU is an investment in your future. Find full tuition details at the link below.Full Tuition Details
Military Student Support
Our Lady of the Lake University is proud to support you as you balance your education with your personal and military service commitments. Our online programs offer the flexibility you need to conference with faculty members, study, and access course materials from wherever your busy life takes you. We also accept a variety of military education benefits to ensure the degree program you want is within reach.Get Support
Faculty: Tap Into Our Wealth of Expertise
The faculty in OLLU’s MA in Counseling program are seasoned experts who have operated practices and held specialized roles.
They have real-world expertise confronting issues around mental health, eating disorders, behavioral disorders, special education, and substance abuse in residential programs, family practice, schools, group homes, treatment centers and other settings.
In your time at OLLU, you’ll have the opportunity to forge personal connections and receive one-on-one mentorship through hands-on learning.OLLU Faculty
Learning online with OLLU is just as engaging as our on-campus programs — the only difference is the flexibility to learn on your own schedule. Connect with lively discussion groups, complete your assignments and interact with your professors from wherever you prefer to work.OLLU Online
Seeking financial aid is a great way to reduce the out-of-pocket cost of getting your new degree — in fact, 90% of our students receive some form of financial aid to ease their transition back to school.Explore Financial Aid
Frequently Asked Questions
If you have a question we don’t cover here, request more information or call 855-275-1082.
- the School Counseling concentration in 3.5 years
- the Clinical Mental Health Counseling and the Clinical Rehabilitation Counseling concentrations in 3–3.5 years.
Total tuition estimates are as follows and do not include the cost of books and fees:
- School Counseling specialization, $58,860
- Clinical Mental Health Counseling and Clinical Rehabilitation Counseling specializations, $58,860
Our program recognizes the importance and value of CACREP accreditation for counseling programs, their graduates and the counseling profession. In preparation for submitting our self-study to the CACREP Board, we are in the process of developing, modifying and evaluating our program to meet CACREP standards. We hope to submit our self-study to the CACREP Board soon which will then begin the review process of our program by CACREP. The review process is comprehensive and lengthy, and it could be a year or more after we submit our self-study before we know the results of our application and whether or not our program is eligible for CACREP accreditation.
Yes. You can choose from the Clinical Mental Health Counseling, Clinical Rehabilitation Counseling, and School Counseling specializations.
The program requires 600 hours of internship experience and 100 hours of practicum experience for all specializations.
NOTE: Applicants seeking licensure are encouraged to review all applicable eligibility requirements related to the respective occupational license per the Texas occupations code HB 1508.
*The appearance of U.S. Department of Defense (DoD) visual information does not imply or constitute DoD endorsement.
- Forbes.com, Top 10 Best Online Master’s In School Counseling of 2023 https://www.forbes.com/advisor/education/best-online-school-counseling-degrees.
- Statista (2022 May 6). Number of U.S. Adults Who Received Mental Health Treatment or Counseling in the Past Year from 2002 to 2020, from https://www.statista.com.
- U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics (2022 April 18). Substance Abuse, Behavioral Disorder, and Mental Health Counselors, from https://www.bls.gov.