About Our Lady of the Lake University
Our Lady of the Lake University (OLLU) was founded in San Antonio, Texas, in 1895 on the principles of faith, wisdom and trust in Providence. We’re a co-educational comprehensive university serving more than 2,500 students in more than 70 undergraduate majors and minors, more than 15 master’s programs, and four doctoral programs.
OLLU gives students an experience that prepares them to be leaders in their career fields and communities.– ABEL A. CHÁVEZ, MBA, PHD, PRESIDENT, OUR LADY OF THE LAKE UNIVERSITY
Why Choose OLLU?
- Innovative learning experiences rooted in faith and wisdom, and built to further your spiritual, personal and professional growth
- Online programs with a personal touch, allowing you to be a part of the OLLU community and complete studies on your own schedule
- Respect for diversity of experience, thought and expression, as well as a tradition of connection with Mexican American culture
Request More Information
Whether you have a question about Our Lady of the Lake University, our programs or what it’s like learn online, we’re here to help.
Fill out this simple form and we’ll be in touch soon:
Our Lady of the Lake University is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC) to award bachelor’s, master’s and doctoral degrees. Questions about the accreditation of Our Lady of the Lake University may be directed in writing to the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges at 1866 Southern Lane, Decatur, GA 30033-4097, by calling (404) 679-4500, or by using information available on SACSCOC’s website.
- OLLU ranks among the top 150 universities in the nation for the social mobility of its graduates1
- OLLU’s Master of Science of Psychology has been ranked among the top programs in the nation and the top 20 programs among Texas universities1
- OLLU ranks among the top 24 universities in the nation and the top five in Texas for economic diversity1
- OLLU’s Master of Arts in Counseling has been ranked among Forbes list of Top 10 Best Online Master’s In School Counseling programs for 202310
- OLLU’s Master of Social Work program ranks seventh in Texas and among the top 116 in the U.S.2
- OLLU is among the top 90 universities nationally for awarding master’s degrees to Hispanic students3
- No. 7 in Texas and No. 47 nationally for the social mobility of graduates among national universities4
- No. 2 in Texas and No. 8 in the nation for economic diversity among national universities4
- No. 5 in Texas and highest overall among San Antonio universities for the percentage of classes that have fewer than 20 students4
- Ranked as a top 100 producer of graduate degrees among minorities5
Rankings for specific programs include:
- No. 9 – Master’s in Social Work, African American graduates
- No. 11 – Master’s in Social Work, Hispanic graduates
- No. 16 – Master’s in Social Work, Native American graduates
- No. 5 among all universities and No. 1 among San Antonio universities for having the nation’s largest percentage of Hispanic degree-seeking undergraduates among private universities — 78%.6
- No. 15 in Texas and among the top 100 universities in the nation for awarding master’s degrees to Hispanics 7
- OLLU Master of Social Work program ranks No. 7 in Texas and among the top 150 programs in the U.S.8
- No. 76 university in the nation for alumni giving rate8
- No. 19 Best Online College for School Counseling Degrees – OLLU Master’s in School Counseling program9
- Through our social work programs, we are one of only three universities in the U.S. to directly address the needs of the nation’s Hispanic population
- Our MSW program ranked 7th in Texas and in the top 150 in the U.S.4
- MA in Counseling specializations in School Counseling, Clinical Mental Health Counseling and Clinical Rehabilitation Counseling
Founded and sponsored by the Sisters of Divine Providence, Our Lady of the Lake University is a Catholic, Hispanic-serving, inclusive learning community. Through quality, innovative undergraduate and graduate education, we foster spiritual, personal, and professional growth. Our graduates are prepared for purposeful lives and service to humanity.
Approved by the Board of Trustees, Jan. 27, 2022.
Embracing the Catholic Intellectual tradition that integrates curiosity, faith and ethical reasoning in the pursuit of truth, Our Lady of the Lake University challenges its diverse student body with transformative experiences to enrich their lives and inspire leaders in service with faith and wisdom.
Approved by the Board of Trustees, Jan. 27, 2022.
Our Lady of the Lake University is a Catholic community whose core values reflect what we believe and live in our daily lives.
We are a community that values inclusivity and embraces:
- Respect for diversity of thought, culture, creative expression, and experiences; and
- Compassionate support for each other’s successes and challenges.
We recognize our interdependence, and we value:
- Confidence in our Provident God;
- Mutual reliance on each other; and
- Stewardship of our resources and environment.
We engage in ethical behavior through:
- Honesty, transparency, and accountability in decision making; and
- Congruence between values and actions.
We are called to:
- Use our time, talent, and knowledge for the benefit of others; and
- Advocate for social justice which embraces equity, access, and care of creation for the common good.
Our Lady of the Lake University was founded as an all-girls academy in 1895 by the Sisters of the Congregation of Divine Providence, a religious order with roots in 18th century France that continues to sponsor the university today. In 1911, OLLU opened as a two-year college for women with one student, Rosalie McNelly, and awarded its first bachelor’s degree in 1912 to Sister Angelique Ayers, CDP.
We have long been a pioneer in how education is delivered. In 1923, we were the first higher education institution in San Antonio to receive regional accreditation, and we were the first college in the region to offer weekend courses in 1978. We now offer our distinctive, innovative programs online.
We are proud of our rich legacy of Mexican American culture and activism, which goes back to our earliest days. In 1968, OLLU hosted the first U.S. Commission on Civil Rights Hearing on Mexican Americans in the Southwest.
The university has grown to six main schools: College of Arts and Sciences, School of Business and Leadership, College of Professional Studies, Salazar-Escobedo School of Mass Communication and Theater, the Worden School of Social Service, and the Woolfolk School of Communication Sciences and Disorders. While OLLU’s main campus is in San Antonio, students may also attend courses in Houston and the Rio Grande Valley, and across the U.S. via OLLU’s online programs.
- U.S. News and World Report, 2023 Best Colleges
- U.S News and World Report, 2022 Best Graduate Schools
- The Hispanic Outlook on Education magazine 2022
- U.S. News & World Report, 2022 Best Colleges
- Diverse: Issues in Higher Education magazine, October 2021
- U.S. News & World Report, 2021 20 Colleges with the Most Hispanic Students
- Hispanic Outlook on Education magazine, Fall 2020 edition
- U.S. News & World Report, 2021 Best Graduate Schools
- SR Education Group, GuidetoOnlineSchools.com
- Forbes.com, Top 10 Best Online Master’s In School Counseling of 2023