Make a difference in the lives of students
Our Lady of the Lake University's (OLLU) online Master of Arts in Counseling with a specialization in School Counseling is designed to prepare you to excel in primary and secondary educational institutions, helping foster psychological wellness among children and adolescents.
With a combination of comprehensive relationship-building, leadership, and group dynamics skills, you'll graduate ready to meet the needs of today's diverse student populations and become a leader within your school.
See how your degree can empower you to make an immediate positive impact on the lives of your students.
Core Skills for Counseling Credentials
This flexible online program prepares you with the essential knowledge and academic requirements you need to apply for a Texas School Counseling Certification or a School Counseling Certification1 in many other states. Upon graduation, you'll possess the skills to:
- Assess and confidentially address students' behavioral and learning problems
- Promote psychological health in children and adolescents
- Implement effective career development planning
- Uphold the ethical codes applicable for school counselors
For those seeking certification in Texas, OLLU's program includes the required internship and fieldwork.
Designed according to 2016 Council for Accreditation of Counseling & Related Educational Programs (CACREP) Standards, this program provides you with an education that meets the highest standards for the counseling profession. Through 16 courses and a total of 48 credit hours, you'll focus on the following comprehensive areas of counseling:
- Foundation: Explore school counseling history, program models, and P–12 models of career development, school-based collaboration and consultation, and assessment.
- Contextual dimensions: Understand the roles school counselors play, including family consultant, system change agent, crisis manager, and more.
- Practice: Develop school counseling program objectives, create and evaluate programs, assist with curriculum design, intervene to promote academic development, and more.
You'll also gain extensive real-world skills with a practicum and internship experience to be completed over two to three semesters.
School counselors are a vital part of student success, offering educational guidance, mental health support, and assistance preparing for the future — whether that means applying to colleges or entering the job market.
School counselors work in a variety of educational settings, including public, private and charter institutions in the K–12 system, or in colleges and universities.
Read more about your job outlook specializing in school counseling, including job titles and salaries.
Get Started Today
Prepare to become a school counselor with Our Lady of the Lake University's online MA in Counseling program. Call 855-275-1082 to speak with an admission representative or request more information.
1Students outside of Texas are responsible for knowing their specific state requirements for school counseling certification.
NOTE: Applicants seeking licensure are encouraged to review all applicable eligibility requirements related to the respective occupational license per the Texas occupations code HB 1508.
Program is pending approval by SACSCOC.