How long will it take to complete the MA in Counseling?
Your duration may depend on your specialization:
- The average completion time for OLLU's Clinical Mental Health Counseling and Clinical Rehabilitation Counseling specializations is 3 to 3.5 years.
- The School Counseling specialization takes an average of 2.5 years to complete.
Does this program qualify me to apply for certification or licensure?
Yes. The certifications you can apply for after you graduate depend on your specialization:
- The School Counseling specialization prepares you to apply for the Texas School Counseling certification, as well as school counseling certifications in many other states.
- The Clinical Mental Health Counseling and Clinical Rehabilitation Counseling specializations prepare you to apply for LPC licensure by fulfilling the 60 hours of academic requirements.
- The Clinical Rehabilitation Counseling specialization also prepares you to become a Certified Rehabilitative Counselor (CRC).*
If you have further questions about potential certifications, please request more information or call 855-275-1082 to speak with an admissions adviser.
*Additional requirements for Certified Rehabilitative Counselor licensure may apply.
What is my career outlook in counseling?
Your career outlook with the Master of Arts in Counseling is promising regardless of your specialization. For specific details about positions, industry growth, and median salaries, visit the overview pages for our specializations in:
With a master's in counseling from OLLU, you'll be ready to pursue a career supporting those in need and helping them bring their best self to life.
Do I need to have a background in counseling?
No. A background in counseling, psychology, or social work is recommended but not required to apply.
How much will it cost to complete my degree?
Your estimated tuition depends on which specialization you choose:
- The School Counseling specialization is $907 per credit hour with 48 total credit hours, for a total estimated tuition of $43,536.
- The Clinical Mental Health Counseling specialization is $907 per credit hour with 60 total credit hours, for a total estimated tuition of $54,420.
- The Clinical Rehabilitation Counseling specialization is $907 per credit hour with 60 total credit hours, for a total estimated tuition of $54,420.
Note that these estimates don't include additional fees you might incur, as well as additional expenses like textbooks.
Your tuition is an investment in your academic achievement and career, and OLLU is here to connect you with financial assistance. Learn more about your options on our Tuition and Financial Aid page.
Is financial aid available?
Yes, financial aid is available to those who qualify. Visit our Tuition and Financial Aid page for more information about qualification and the application process.
Is this a full or part-time program?
You can complete this program as a full- or part-time student, depending on how many credits you wish to take at once.
What classes are required to complete this program?
The classes you're required to complete will depend on your specialization.
All courses in these curricula—both core and specialization—are designed according to 2016 CACREP (Council for Accreditation of Counseling and Related Educational Programs) standards, ensuring you'll receive a mix of both foundational knowledge and counseling skills that prepare you for practice.
Explore our Master of Arts in Counseling curriculum for more information.
Can I transfer credits?
Yes. You can apply for transfer credits in all courses in the curriculum, with the exception of clinical courses. We accept a maximum of six credit hours.
Does this program have any on-campus residencies?
The MA in Counseling is 100 percent online with no on-campus residencies. The program does require practicums and internships, but you can complete that in your geographic area at a location you choose, with the approval of your program director.
What support will I receive as an online student?
You'll have access to diverse, knowledgeable faculty with years of experience, both in the real world and the classroom. You'll benefit from their counseling experience and mentorship in every lesson, and you can reach out to them via both email and phone.
You can also contact an adviser for 24/7 technical support.
For more about online learning with OLLU, give our Online Learning Details page a look.
How do I attend online classes?
As an online student with Our Lady of the Lake University, you can access your coursework online anytime, as long as you complete your assignments by the due dates your professor designates. You'll have access to a variety of learning resources and many opportunities to interact with your professors and collaborate with fellow classmates.
For more about online learning with OLLU, including hardware and software requirements, give our Online Learning Details page a look.
Why is Our Lady of the Lake University my best choice for this program?
A sampling of OLLU rankings:
- No. 19 on College Choice of Best Online Master's in Educational Counseling
- No. 6 Best Online College in Texas for 2017–2018 by AffordableCollegesOnline.org
- No. 86 in Regional Universities West by U.S. News & World Report's 2018 Best Colleges Rankings
- No. 4 in Texas among Private Regional University for the least amount of debt for graduates by U.S. News & World Report's 2018 Best Colleges Rankings
Quality education and individual attention have been the hallmarks of OLLU since our founding in 1895, and that tradition continues with our online MA in Counseling.
We educate the whole person in a Christian academic atmosphere that embraces intellectual, moral, social and spiritual values, and we cultivate skills essential for ethical conduct, service to society, lifelong learning, and more.
An education from OLLU goes beyond the basics to ensure you position yourself for success. Learn more about why we stand apart on Why Choose OLLU.
Are you accredited?
Yes. Our Lady of the Lake University is accredited by the Commission on Colleges of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools to award bachelor's, master's, and doctoral degrees.
In addition, we'll be seeking accreditation for the MA in Counseling from the Council for Accreditation of Counseling and Related Educational Programs (CACREP), and our curriculum has been designed according to 2016 CACREP Standards.
What career support do you offer?
As an online student, you will have both online and on-campus access to our Center for Career Development & Testing, which aims to support our students and alumni in their personal, academic, and professional growth. This includes skill building in interview preparation, career assessments, résumé development, and more!
What are the admissions requirements for this program?
Applying to this program requires:
- A baccalaureate degree from a regionally accredited university
- A minimum GPA of 2.75 (or 3.0 for the last 60 hours of your undergraduate tenure)
You don't need entrance exam scores or work experience in counseling to apply. A background in counseling, psychology, or social work is recommended but not required.
Visit OLLU's Admissions Overview page to learn more about admissions requirements for the online MA in Counseling.
How do I get started?
You can get started right now! Your first step is to fill out our application.
Please request more information or call 855-275-1082 to speak with an admissions adviser.