Help others lead healthy, fulfilling lives
In Our Lady of the Lake University's online Master of Arts in Counseling with Clinical Rehabilitation Counseling specialization, you'll gain the knowledge and skills to support people with complex diagnoses and disabilities as they work to live healthy, independent and fulfilling lives.
Learn to work closely with medical doctors, occupational therapists, physical therapists and other medical professionals to provide holistic care. You'll help people tap into new opportunities in their education, career, and community while ensuring they look after their mental health and wellness needs.
Graduates from this 60-credit hour, 100-percent-online specialization are prepared to work in a variety of clinical rehabilitation settings, including both private and public agencies, hospitals, non-profit organizations and beyond.
Core Skills Needed for LPC Licensure
In this program, you'll learn to provide a unique mix of both vocational rehabilitation and mental health counseling. Discover how to:
- Connect people with new opportunities for employment and help them obtain or maintain a job
- Ensure that as your patients tackle daily, disability-related challenges, they look after their mental and physical well-being
- Collaborate with fellow health professionals to provide holistic care
- Function in a variety of clinical rehabilitation settings, including hospitals, nonprofits, and private and public agencies
- Perform diagnostic interviews, job readiness assessments, worksite analysis and more
If you pursue this career path, you can become a Licensed Professional Counselor (LPC)1,2 and help individuals with disabilities build a better quality of life. This program also prepares you to become a Certified Rehabilitative Counselor3.
This curriculum is designed according to the Council for Accreditation of Counseling & Related Educational Programs (CACREP) Standards and includes the following:
- Foundation: Learn the basics of clinical rehabilitation counseling, including treatment planning, screening and assessment instruments, etiology, and more.
- Contextual Dimensions: Go beyond foundational knowledge and discover the roles and settings of rehabilitation counselors, the continuum of care, the effects of discrimination and more.
- Practice: Finally, take your theory into practice — from diagnostic interviews and career assessments to patient advocacy.
Through a 60-credit program — with both internship and practicum opportunities over two to three semesters — you'll experience a high-quality, industry-standard curriculum and prepare to enter the counseling profession.
Due to an increase in the elderly population, as well as the needs of veterans, people with disabilities and chronic illnesses, and those recovering from drug abuse, there's an urgent need for Clinical Rehabilitative Counselors.4
In this important position, you'll help people in need work through physical and mental impairments, infirmity, addiction and more as they seek to live independently, find a job and improve their quality of life.
Read more about your job outlook specializing in clinical rehabilitative counseling, including industry insights and potential salaries.
Get Started Today
Prepare to become a clinical rehabilitation counselor with Our Lady of the Lake University's online MA program. Call 855-275-1082 to speak with an admission representative or request more information today.
1Students outside of Texas are responsible for knowing their specific state requirements for LPC licensure.
2Applicants seeking licensure are encouraged to review all applicable eligibility requirements related to the respective occupational license per the Texas occupations code HB 1508.
3Additional requirements for Certified Rehabilitative Counselor licensure may apply.
4Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor, Occupational Outlook Handbook, Rehabilitation Counselors, on the Internet at https://www.bls.gov/ooh/community-and-social-service/rehabilitation-counselors.htm (visited October 2, 2018).
Program is pending approval by SACSCOC.