Bachelor of Social Work (BSW): Career Outlook
Earn a BSW and Build a Career Helping Others.
With a Bachelor of Social Work (BSW) degree from Our Lady of the Lake University (OLLU), you will be eligible for extensive employment opportunities in a wide range of service areas. You will also be eligible to apply for licensure and full membership in the National Association of Social Workers, qualifying you for even more opportunities in schools, government agencies, hospitals, community organizations, mental health facilities, retirement homes and elsewhere.
- 11% increase in employment opportunities from 2018 to 20281
- 18% projected employment growth for mental health and substance abuse social workers from 2018 to 2028 (highest among all social work specializations)1
- $49,470 median annual wage for social workers1
As one of three programs nationwide that provides a focus on the Hispanic population — expected to reach 81.2 million people by 2035 and make up 22 percent of the entire U.S. population — the BSW from OLLU prepares you to address the needs of the nation’s fastest-growing demographic, giving you a competitive advantage in the marketplace over graduates from other programs.2
The job outlook for those with a BSW is strong, offering many opportunities to make a difference in a stable, in-demand career. In a variety of roles, graduates promote the well-being of communities across the nation.
Victim Service Advocate:
Put your skills to work providing assistance to victims of crime, domestic abuse, or other traumatic circumstances and ensure they have the resources they need to recover.3
School Social Worker:
School social workers are a vital resource for students, assisting with issues from mental health and behavior to domestic challenges, to ensure learners from all backgrounds are able to focus on their education and meet their full potential.4
Additional roles for Bachelor of Social Work graduates:
- Crisis Intervention Specialist
- Case Manager
- Community Organizer
- Life Skills Counselor
- Mental Health Assistant
- School Social Worker
Request More Information
Whether you have a question about Our Lady of the Lake University, our programs or what it’s like learn online, we’re here to help.
Fill out this simple form and we’ll be in touch soon:
Applicable BSW Skills: Preparing You to Make an Immediate Impact
You’ll complete this program ready to:
- Sit for the Licensed Social Worker (LSW) Exam at the bachelor’s level*
- Advance human rights and social, economic and environmental justice
- Engage in practice-informed research and research-informed practice
- Engage and intervene with individuals, families, groups, organizations and communities
- Demonstrate ethical and professional behavior
* Licensure requirements vary by state. Students are responsible for understanding the requirements for social work licensure in their resident state. Applicants seeking licensure are encouraged to review all applicable eligibility requirements related to the respective occupational license per the Texas occupations code HB 1508.
Career Planning and Assessment
OLLU’s Center for Career Development and Testing (CCDT) is committed to supporting you in your spiritual, personal, academic and professional growth.
We offer testing, assessment, certification and professional development in accordance with the National College Testing Association’s (NCTA) professional and ethical guidelines.
- U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics (2019 September 4). Social Workers. Occupational Outlook Handbook. Retrieved on October 30, 2019, from https://www.bls.gov/ooh/community-and-social-service/social-workers.htm#tab-1
- United States Census Bureau (2019 October 9). Hispanic Population to Reach 111 Million by 2060. Retrieved on October 30, 2019, from https://www.census.gov/library/visualizations/2018/comm/hispanic-projected-pop.html
- Glassdoor (n.d.). Victim Advocate Salaries. Retrieved January 29, 2020, from https://www.glassdoor.com/Salaries/victim-advocate-salary-SRCH_KO0,15.htm.
- Payscale (n.d.). Average School Social Worker Salary. Retrieved November 27, 2019, from https://www.payscale.com/research/US/Job=School_Social_Worker/Salary.