A CSWE-Accredited Bachelor’s Program that Changes Lives and Transforms Communities
- High job growth — 16% increase by 2026, creating almost 110,000 new jobs.1
- Violence Prevention and Intervention (VPI) certification available at no additional cost.
In the CSWE-accredited online Bachelor of Social Work (BSW) degree program at Our Lady of the Lake University (OLLU), you’ll gain the skills and experience to make a positive impact in an expanding field.
What Makes Us Unique?
A focus on the Hispanic population. Our BSW is one of only three social work programs in the country with an emphasis on serving the urgent needs of the Hispanic community, the fastest-growing demographic nationwide.
A well-rounded curriculum. Small class sizes lead by an expert faculty help prepare you for a career in a variety of settings — from direct practice to community outreach and more. You’ll graduate ready to earn the social work licensure you need to practice.
Learn More Today
Complete the form to get additional information about this program.
Practice As a Social Worker or Continue Your Education
Our CSWE-accredited curriculum provides you with an education covering the principles of generalist social work practice, policy and direct service and the basics of human behavior. Your 120 hours of coursework will ensure that you have the knowledge and experience you need to serve individuals, families, groups or entire communities in need.
Upon completion of this program, you can sit for the Bachelor of Social Work credential in your state — so you can practice as a licensed social worker in any number of social work settings. As part of the BSW program, you can also pursue certification in Violence Prevention and Intervention (VPI) without any extra credits, and learn to prevent child maltreatment and domestic violence while addressing poverty and exploitation.
In addition, once you earn your BSW degree, you can apply to the Advanced Standing online Master of Social Work program, opening up even more opportunities to further your social work career.
Career Outlook: Help Others in a Growing Field
Your BSW degree and your passion for serving others will give you the foundation you need to step into a fulfilling career role or to begin graduate and clinical studies.
The social work field is growing, with jobs in this field — including social workers and other community and social service specialists — experiencing an exceptional 11 percent growth rate. In 2019, the median salary for social workers was $49,470.1Careers in Social Work
Curriculum: CSWE-Accredited Program
The CSWE-accredited online BSW curriculum is specifically designed to address emerging needs and trends in the social work community while instilling students with time-tested foundational knowledge, theories and skills.
OLLU is one of only three programs in the country with a focus on the growing Hispanic population. You can also earn a certification in Violence Prevention and Intervention (VPI) without taking on any extra credits. Plus, OLLU field placement specialists will work directly with you to secure a practicum.Review Curriculum
Program Outcomes: Graduate Ready to Make a Difference
You’ll complete this program ready to:
- Sit for the Licensed Social Worker (LSW) Exam at a bachelor’s level*
- Advance human rights and social, economic and environmental justice
- Engage in practice-informed research and research-informed practice
- Interact and intervene with individuals, families, groups, organizations and communities
- Demonstrate ethical and professional behavior
* Licensure requirements vary by state. Students are responsible for understanding the requirements for social work licensure in their resident state. Applicants seeking licensure are encouraged to review all applicable eligibility requirements related to the respective occupational license per the Texas occupations code HB 1508.
To apply for the Bachelor of Social Work (BSW) from Our Lady of the Lake University as a first-time freshman, you’ll need:
- A completed application
- A GPA of at least 2.5 with a minimum score of 840 on the SAT, a GPA of at least 2.0 with a minimum score of 880 on the SAT, or a score of 15 on the ACT
- Official transcripts from any previously attended academic institutions
- Students who do not meet the grade and test requirements are recommended to submit letters of recommendation, a résumé, or a personal statement to supplement their application
This 120 credit hour program costs $475 per credit hour. Furthering your career with an education from OLLU is an investment in your future. Find full tuition details at the link below.Full Tuition Details
Faculty: Learn From Diverse Social Work Leaders
You’ll learn firsthand from the industry’s finest social advocates, policymakers, and social-service educators. They’re here to support, mentor and empower you to be part of the next generation of social work leaders.OLLU Faculty
Learning online with OLLU is just as engaging as our on-campus programs — the only difference is the flexibility to learn on your own schedule. Connect with lively discussion groups, complete your assignments and interact with your professors from wherever you prefer to work.OLLU ONLINE
Seeking financial aid is a great way to reduce the out-of-pocket cost of getting your new degree — in fact, 90 percent of our students receive some form of financial aid to ease their transition back to school.EXPLORE FINANCIAL AID
Frequently Asked Questions
If you have a question we don’t cover here, request more information or call 855-275-1082.
The Worden School of Social Service at Our Lady of the Lake University has been accredited by the Council on Social Work Education (CSWE) since 1942 and meets all guidelines for regional accreditation. The degree you earn online is identical to the Bachelor of Social Work degree offered on campus. Upon earning your BSW, you may apply for the Master of Social Work’s Advanced Standing program, an accredited program of 30 credits that may be completed in 12 consecutive months of accelerated track study.
The total tuition for the online BSW at OLLU is $57,000, as the tuition rate is $475 per credit and the program requires 120 credits.
First-year college students can earn the online BSW in four years. However, with transfer credits, some students may complete the program as quickly as 2 years.
Students are required to complete one full-time, supervised field experience in an agency, under the supervision of a social worker. BSW students must complete a minimum of 450 agency-based clock hours. You can learn more about the Field Education requirements here.
- U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics (2019 September 4). Social Workers. Occupational Outlook Handbook. Retrieved October 30, 2019 from https://www.bls.gov/ooh/community-and-social-service/social-workers.htm