Help others become their best.
Our Lady of the Lake University's (OLLU) online Master of Arts in Counseling with a specialization in Clinical Mental Health Counseling gets you on your way to becoming a Licensed Professional Counselor (LPC)1 and having a big impact on the lives of others.
This comprehensive curriculum equips you to address circumstances you'll face as a clinical mental health professional. You'll learn to identify, assess and address mental health symptoms to help clients of all ages and cultures improve their emotional health and well-being using Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM) criteria.
An MA in Clinical Mental Health Counseling can set you up for success in private practice, inpatient or outpatient agencies, government and non-government facilities, or community organizations.
Enjoy a focused but flexible program—including an in-person practicum and internships in your geographic area—and experience one of only a few online mental health counseling curricula in the country.
Learn Core Skills for LPC Licensure
Completion of the degree program allows you to apply as a candidate for licensure as a Licensed Professional Counselor through your state board of examiners.1 Additional supervision for an internship will be required before your licensure approval; however, this program gives you the academic essentials you need to begin that process for most states.
Upon graduation, you'll possess a wide array of skills and knowledge essential for mental health counselors, including the ability to:
- Demonstrate an understanding of theories, methods, and techniques in individual and group therapy
- Identify the theoretical orientation(s) options used for ethical and effective therapy
- Understand the impact of addiction on society, clients, and family systems to help assist clients who are experiencing addiction within their family
- Use various assessment and testing methods with clients and effectively communicate testing results
- Apply basic tenets of career theories when working with career exploration for clients
Designed according to 2016 Council for Accreditation of Counseling & Related Educational Programs (CACREP) Standards, this program provides you with an education that meets the highest standards for the counseling profession.
Through 20 courses and a total of 60 credit hours, you'll focus on the following comprehensive areas of counseling:
- Foundation: Learning theory, principles, models, and documentation formats
- Contextual dimensions: Understanding roles and settings, etiology, nomenclature, mental health service delivery modalities, and more
- Practice: Exploring intake interviews and evaluations, caseload management, assessment of treatment, and planning
With your MA in Counseling with a specialization in Mental Health Counseling, you'll be prepared to enter private practice, inpatient or outpatient agencies, government and non-government facilities, or community organizations.
Read more about your job outlook specializing in clinical mental health counseling, including job titles and salaries.
Prepare to become a clinical mental health counselor with Our Lady of the Lake University's online MA program. Call 855-275-1082 to speak with an admission representative or request more information.
1Students outside of Texas are responsible for knowing their specific state requirements for LPC licensure.
NOTE: Applicants seeking licensure are encouraged to review all applicable eligibility requirements related to the respective occupational license per the Texas occupations code HB 1508.