Duration: 7 weeks
In this course, you will review and analyze management and organizational theories and principles and apply them to the internal and external dynamics of the contemporary healthcare delivery organizations. In this way you will learn to diagnose issues and problems within those organizations. Discussions will focus on how various healthcare organizations interact with each other and stakeholders, as well as the challenges they face as they pursue their business goals while also pursuing their mission, vision and values. Coursework also explores the current healthcare regulatory environment and the impact of the new U.S. healthcare reform program on various healthcare organizations.
Coursework is designed for engagement and collaboration. Here is an example of just some of the assignments and projects you will complete as part of HCMG 7304.
- Discuss leadership, management effectiveness and working styles with classmates.
- Write about organizational structure, management objectives and other relevant matters within strategic leadership.
Throughout each week of the course, you will focus on a core topic or theme. Sample topics from HCMG 7304 are listed below and are subject to change based on the instructor.
- Foundations of Healthcare Organizations and Special Leadership Variables
- Strategic Leadership and Foundations for Clinical Performance
- Physician, Nursing, and Clinical Support Services
- Community Health and Knowledge
- Human Resources, Environment of Care, and Financial Management
- Internal Consulting and Marketing & Strategy
Upon completion of HCMG 7304 students will be able to:
- Demonstrate an understanding of key concepts, components, determinants and issues associated with health, the healthcare industry and health services management.
- Describe and analyze the structure and functions of major organizational subsystems of traditional models of U.S. Hospitals in the public and private sectors.
- Describe and analyze the influence that consumers, payers, employers, advocates, healthcare providers, and a variety of other internal and external stakeholders have on contemporary healthcare management practices.
- Apply concepts, principles, and strategies drawn from other disciplines in the management sciences (i.e. financing, information systems, human resources, organization theory, etc.) to the identification, analysis, diagnosis and resolution of management issues common to the contemporary healthcare organization.
- Apply management perspectives to the identification, description, and analysis of social, political, economic, environmental and bio-technological determinants of health and healthcare delivery.
- Describe and analyze the influences the changing U.S. market for healthcare is having on evolving provider organizations and institutional delivery systems.
- Develop sufficient familiarity with the healthcare management literature to be able to use it effectively in problem-oriented applications in managing contemporary health services delivery organizations.
To learn more about this course, or other courses in the online MBA from Our Lady of the Lake University, call 855-275-1082 to speak with an admissions adviser or request more information.
The content presented on this page is representative information for example purposes and is subject to change as course and student needs change over time.