Duration: 7 weeks
In this course, you will explore issues of financial control in complex organizations, including goal creation, strategic planning, budget development and audits. Analysis and measurements through accounting methods are explored as valuable methods for effective control. You’ll get acquainted with basic types of financial reports and learn to analyze complicated financial information to uncover information that will support your decision-making process.
Coursework is designed for engagement and collaboration. Here is an example of just some of the assignments and projects you will complete as part of ACCT 8310.
- Discuss key managerial financial concepts and topics with fellow students and your professor.
- Learn via interactive and multimedia content, as well as enhance your learning experience with McGraw-Hill Connect — an immersive digital platform aimed to streamline instruction, foster engagement and strengthen the connection between faculty, students and coursework.
Throughout each week of the course, you will focus on a core topic or theme. Sample topics for ACCT 8310 are listed below and are subject to change based on the instructor.
- Financial Statement Analysis
- Overview of Managerial Accounting and Cost Concepts
- Cost-Volume-Profit, Variable Costing and Segment Reporting
- Activity-Based Costing (ABC)
- Profit Planning
- Budgets, Return on Investments and Residual Income
- Differential Analysis: The Key to Decision Making
- Capital Budgeting Decisions
Upon completion of ACCT 8310 students will be able to:
- Identify and distinguish the basic set of financial reports needed for strategic thinking.
- Use variable costing as a tool for management.
- Differentiate various types of cost behaviors and cost models.
- Analyze financial information for trends designed to access strengths and weaknesses that impact the strategic decision-making process.
- Understand the role of managerial accounting in your organization.
To learn more about this course, or other courses in the online MBA from Our Lady of the Lake University, call 855-275-1082 to speak with an admissions adviser or request more information right away.
The content presented on this page is representative information for example purposes and is subject to change as course and student needs change over time.